Thursday, January 23, 2014

Apologies and food can save the day

Yesterday, I had a really bad day.  I was in no mood to cook dinner but, unfortunately, I had decided to make fish tacos and once you decide on fish it needs to be cooked.  So there I was with the fish taco recipe staring me in the face and I was scowling back.  Did I say I was having a bad day?  So my daughter, who is 7, says she is hungry and asks if she can help me.  Now my daughter is sweet and loving and a lot of fun but she is also like me.  When I get hungry I exemplify the word Hangry.  She doesn't get hangry she gets Hinny (hungry and whinny).  Did I say I was having a bad day?  She was trying to be helpful but one hangry mom, who is having a bad day, and a hinny child in a small kitchen is not a good combo.  To top things off, my husband had been working from the counter in the kitchen and kept working while I was cooking.  Anyone hear the phrase too many cooks in the kitchen?  To my husband's defense, I didn't ask him to move, I just continued to huff around the kitchen, eventually getting snippy with everyone.  By the time the dinner was ready, I had made my husband mad and my daughter sad and thus I was in an even worse mood.
A few apologies and hugs later, some awesome fish tacos, and we were all in better moods.  Lesson learned.  Do not try a new recipe when you are hangry or hanky (cranky and hungry) or hinny.  Apologies, hugs and an awesome meal with your family can save the day!  I was a happy girl last night.

Here is the link to the recipe:  http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/blackened-tilapia-baja-tacos-50400000110429/
The rub is very flavorful.  The brown sugar is a perfect compliment to the cumin and paprika.
Note: I didn't use lite sour cream.  My son and I didn't like the first batch of cilantro/lime sauce (it was too limey) so I added more sour cream and it was not only better, but thicker.  (of course if you are trying to be lite, this isn't the way to go but it did make a more satisfying sauce).  I also added tomatoes and lettuce to the tacos for more color and balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment