Saturday, June 21, 2014

Up North feel in Mid-Michigan: Leo's Spirits and Grub, Okemos

With two hours to ourselves while our kids are at a party, my husband and I join our friends at Leo's Spirits and Grub on the corner of Grand River and Okemos roads. The exterior looks like a log cabin and when you walk in the doors you enter a surreal place.  The walls are lined with the heads or full bodies of animals from deer to fish to the wolverine.   The lights are made of antlers and the booths are logs.  However, there are big screen TVs everywhere reminding you that you are not in a cabin up north but at a sports bar and grill in Okemos.  The placemats on the tables are paper with a picture of deer in a forest setting.  I love that!!!  This place is no frills which is great for a relaxing dinner with friends or dinner with the family.
They offer both, local microbrews and domestic beer as well as a full bar (and much to my friend's delight, they also had Smirnoff ice!).

The menu is super fun!  They have traditional appetizers such as mozzarella sticks and onion rings, their special spinach, artichoke dip or the nachos grande (you can order a mini version as well).


They have several interesting and fantastic items on their menu.  First, they have seafood nachos.  My son loves them!   Shrimp and crab smothered in pepper jack cheese with onions, lettuce and tomato.  They are part of the south of the border portion of the menu.   I first had these at Leo's outpost (located on Pennsylvania in Lansing).  This location is more like a traditional bar, with outdoor seating and is a great place to meet coworkers or friends!

Now if you are in the mood for a burger, you are in for a treat!   You can build your own burger, like my husband did.  He chose bacon and cheddar.  It is on a toasted bun with steak fries.   They fries are great!   Bonus: they give you mayonnaise with your burger!!   Very few places do that (I usually have to ask for it).  In my mind, it is the only way to eat a burger, mayonnaise and ketchup mixed up!

They have several types of burgers to choose from, but what makes Leo's special is that they offer Michigan made venison and buffalo burgers!!!   My husband doesn't hunt and sadly, here in MI, I do not have any friends who do, so venison is hard to come by.  The venison burger is amazing!  1/2 pound is moist, soft meat that doesn't leave you feeling greasy.  And they top it with grilled onions!  Heaven in my mouth.


That is just the beginning.  They offer dinners like fish and chips, steak and loaded macaroni and cheese (with blue cheese and bacon)!  Their roaster chicken dinners are very popular.  You can even go for a family chicken dinner that has 12 pieces of chicken with choice of potato, a pint of coleslaw, and four rolls.  

I can't forget about the pizza.  I have had their pizza on several occasions mostly from their Jolly Road location.  It is loaded with toppings and very fresh!!  They offer traditional, deep dish and thin crust.  You can choose your toppings or order the Super (Pepperoni, ham, bacon, onions, green peppers and mushrooms) or the Delux that is the super but with the addition of sausage and black olives!  

The menu is diverse but everything is great!  I have a hard time giving recommendations because I have never had a meal I didn't like here.  

I am a happy girl when Leo's is for dinner!  

Leo's Spirits & Grub on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment