Friday, February 7, 2014

Indian Food-Persis

Although my husband and I frequently eat Indian food, our children have not been exposed to this delicious cuisine.  Last night I decided it was time to change that.  With both our husbands out of town my girlfriend and I decided to take our kids to Persis, on Jolly and Okemos Road in Okemos.  I had heard great things about this restaurant from my Indian colleagues at the hospital and so I was very excited to go.  I was not disappointed!  We started with naan of course and ordered the Persis basket that includes naan, onion naan and buttered naan.  Perfectly toasted and buttered with just the right amount of onion or spice.

They give you complimentary Papad (fried tortillas) with three dipping sauces (all chutney: tomato, mint-cilantro and tamarind).  My son loved the tomato and I loved the mint-cilantro.
Of course my children wanted a fun drink so we ordered the mango lassi.  Wow was that good!  I blinked and three of the kids had already finished and my son (love him) was licking the glass.
The menu offers both vegetarian and meat options and there is a kids menu as well.  We decided to eat family style so the kids could try everything.  We ordered the Chicken Biryani, Butter Chicken and Paneer Tikka Masala.  They allow you to taper the spice level to your liking on most dishes so we went wimpy for the kid’s first try.  The Biryani was still very spicy much to the delight of my son and my girlfriend's two daughters.  The sauces for the Paneer and the butter chicken were smooth and thick and fantastic just by themselves over the rice or with the naan.  I look forward to going back to try other dishes.
The atmosphere is quiet and calm and they show Bollywood videos on the large TV on the wall for entertainment.  They also have a take out menu if you are not in the mood to dine out.  (I will definitely be using this option in the future).

It was fatastic food and great company.  I was a happy girl that night.  

2 comments:

  1. Ok. Sold! Hehe. I love indian food & have been wanting my kids to try it.

    ReplyDelete