Friday, February 28, 2014

Sweetie-licious: Pie, cake, quiche, oh my!!!

For almost a year now, I have been hearing my friends talk about this amazing bakery in Dewitt called Sweetie-licious and I had not made the time to go.  Then happily, I found myself with a weekday off and so I called my girlfriend to see if she was free to meet me there for lunch.  She is a Dewitt resident and has been there many times and had mentioned that they also have breakfast and lunch items.  I was curious.  
The store is very easy to find, right at the four corners in downtown Dewitt.  It is very charming with its red and white awning and 60s retro decor.  There are only a few tables but it is cozy and quaint and you can watch the baking and decorating while you eat.  The menu is handwritten on a chalkboard on the rear wall with unique sandwiches, quiches, salads and soups.  The quiche and soup options change daily are posted on the Facebook page along with any other daily special.   
When I arrived at the store, my girlfriend had already ordered which was to my advantage because I did not have to think about what to order after I saw her quiche.  WOW!  I, of course, ordered a diet coke as well.  The sodas are self serve out of a vintage 1960s fridge and are the old-fashioned glass bottles with caps staying true to her theme.  Adorable!!!  Much to my dismay I had devoured the entire piece of quiche before I remembered to take a picture!  Some food blogger I am!  It was so good though, creamy and smooth and just the right amount of spinach and feta as to not overpower the taste buds.  Then there is the crust!  I don't know what Linda Hundt, the owner, uses in that crust, but it is light and flaky and so yummy!  I could just eat the crust by itself.  I was such a happy girl after that lunch. 

Flash-forward a week, I needed a cake to bring to work for clinic meeting to celebrate the birthday of one of our physicians.  I knew the perfect place to go and the exact cake to get: a Lacey cake.  I was told by Lacey to order in advance so I called the day before.  It is the most adorable little cake.  
It tastes like a brownie with chocolate chip pieces in it!  Thank you Lacey!  
I also bought a Grandma Ferrell's Sweetie-licious pie to share and cookies to bring home to my kids.  First the pie:  










Some of the comments by my coworkers were "wow" and "this is amazing".  My son said "Woah!" after his first bite.  The women who served me said to make sure I warm it up prior to eating.  I figured out why.
The cake is filled with chocolate chips and when warmed they melt into the pie and create a warm cookie dough/brownie batter mixture.  It is like Kentucky derby pie meets Nestle Tollhouse cookie married with Duncan Hines fudge brownie and topped with nuts and caramel!  
My son was right Woah!  My husband and I ate the last piece topped with ice cream….no words!  






I was thrilled to discover that on the menu for that day was the spinach feta quiche.  Of course I got another piece.  And now I have a picture!!! 

Needless to say between the quiche, the pie and the Lacey Cake, I was overly full and a very happy girl.  Thank you Sweetie-licious!  


Oh and the cookies were a hit with my kids!  

Sweetie-licious Bakery Cafe on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I need to get out there! I've tried pie from there, but nothing else.

    ReplyDelete