Thursday, May 8, 2014

Amazing Italian Food on Historic Route 66-Fat Olives

My husband says I make the best pasta sauce he has ever eaten and so we rarely go to Italian restaurants.  I however, LOVE Italian food and press for it every time we travel.  While visiting Flagstaff, AZ, I had a craving for Italian food and found a little place in Route 66 called Fat Olives.  I love that name!  The restaurant is small but very pleasant and I loved the all wood decor.  We sat in a high backed booth, which we all enjoyed.  My kids like booths and my husband and I like the privacy (no one looking over the back of the booth).
The menu it simple but creative, offering the standards such as lasagna, and spaghetti and meatballs, but also specialty wood-fired pizzas and fun desserts.  They have a full service bar with an interesting addition of a wine tap!  I, of course, ordered wine!
We started with appetizers consisting of the flatbread and the bruschetta board.  My husband and I also got a salad with our meals.
Look at that bruschetta!!!  There were actually two pieces of each kind but two were grabbed before I was able to snap the picture.  And notice the hands grabbing the flatbread!  The bruschetta was tomato basil, pesto, basil, tomato and mozzarella and house smoked salmon, pesto, cucumber, red onion with dill cream!  It was amazing!!!  The pieces were gigantic and the flavors insane. The flatbread was soft and light with just the right amount of seasoning.  (I only got a small piece because some little people ate the whole thing!)
For the entree, I ordered the rigatoni and my husband ordered his favorite, lasagna.
We loved our meals!!!  My rigatoni had fennel sausage in it with a rich savory sauce (which my husband really liked!!).   The pasta was cooked to perfection (because no one likes mushy noodles).  The portions were just right leaving you satisfied but without a ton left over.  
Then came the dessert.  This beautiful creation is the Smores-ala-Fat Olives: wood fired pizza crust topped with marshmallows and Ghirardelli chocolate.  I had to hold back the kids in order to get a picture! Needless to say, this dessert as gone in a flash!  

We were all happy after our dining experience at Fat Olives!  My husband even suggested we go back the following night!  

No comments:

Post a Comment